Up Periscope and away we go with @CiscoNetAcad ...

Forgive the corny title - it was one that I couldn't resist. For those who follow my many tweets on @teraknor and @OUCisco amongst other social media outlets. You will know that I have been conducting some experimental #Periscope sessions. Covering some based topics on Network Routing focussed around the Cisco Networking Academy programme.
To reuse the cliche, the subjects are not rocket science, static routes, RIP and OSPF basics are nothing clever in the world of networking. What is more interesting and of considerable value within the domain of social media is the ability to create a synchronous (live) event - broadcast it from your smartphone and allow others to watch it live. As well as recorded (asynchronously) for up to twenty four hours post event.
Better still ... the recording remains on your shiny smartphone allowing you to edit, upload, annotate and do other stuff with it. 
Geekiness aside - as an educator I am very brand aware, I work within the Open University and Cisco Networking academy brands. Two easily recognised marks that both hold their own individual kudos. To reach and teach students I need to engage within those brands as well as out there in the social media sphere. My teaching by twitter work has (in my view) sussed the asynchronous, but what of the live, personal touch, how can I reach an audience and teach them one fact - on skill.
Periscope has given me an interesting affordance and more interesting opportunity to get out there. I can see that some participants are OU students, others interested souls from the Cisco Networking academy and many I simply do not know ... except that they are interested.
I will keep experimenting - in time I think that we will grow an audience and appetite for microteaching via microblogging.
This post was originally posted on LinkedIn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wikipedia editors never walk alone: Hillsborough changes can be traced ... from @ConversationUK

If airlines offer in-flight Wi-Fi, they should invest in an extra black box for security ...

Highlights and lowlights of 2014, a golden year for cybercrime from @ConversationUK